Flavor Focus – Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
Oh how I love the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil! It is far and away one my absolute favorite oils because of its versatility and lively taste. This oil is completely fused, which means that meyer lemons are crushed with the olives to completely fuse together delicate lemon flavor into the olive oil.
What exactly is a meyer lemon, you may ask? Good question. I had to look it up on Wikipedia. The formal definition of a meyer lemon is that it is a cross between a lemon and an orange or a mandarin which accounts for the fact that they have less bite than regular lemons.
Meyer Lemons came to this country from China in the early 1900’s. Meyer lemons have been made popular by chefs for their sweeter taste over the last 25-30 years and now enjoy widespread popularity on menus across the country.
Our Meyer Lemon Olive Oil is a delicious example of sweet mixed with tart. Below, find 5 easy ways to incorporate your Meyer Lemon Olive Oil in your everyday cooking.
1. Salad Dressings. This is the easiest option because lemon is a universal ingredient in almost every salad dressing. Using the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, you get both the flavor and the oil in one ingredient! Pair the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil with the Lavender Balsamic (my favorite) for an out of this world dressing. Or try the Meyer Lemon with the Raspberry, Blueberry or Pineapple for a delicious twist.
2. Roast veggies – drizzle some Meyer Lemon Olive Oil on some asparagus or zucchini and roast in the oven at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. Your side dish will never be the same.
3. Seafood or chicken or pork: One of my favorite things to do is marinate shrimp in the Meyer Lemon Olive Oil with a little cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes and some sugar. Throw them in a pan and add some veggies. Absolutely easy and delicious for a quick dinner.
4. Baked goods. Did you know that if you use olive oil in your baking, you reduce the saturated fat by a third? True! But when you use Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, you add some delicious lemon flavor as well. Think pancakes and waffles or cupcakes or birthday cake. Try this recipe for Meyer Lemon Pound Cake.
5. Pasta or Potato Salad – with BBQ season here, these are the perfect side dishes to any picnic or Memorial Day party.
So that’s the scoop on Meyer Lemon Olive Oil! Hope you enjoy every drop!