Make a pot of these and enjoy with meats, soups or rice.
Cuban Black Beans
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 1 green bell pepper quartered lengthwise
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons MTOO Baklouti Green Chili Oil
- leftover sofrito mix of peppers and garlic from Camarones recipe
- 1 tablespoon cumin ground
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- salt to taste
- Put the black beans, quartered green pepper and bay leaves in a large saucepan add 8 cups of water. Bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 2 ½ hours. Remove and discard the green pieces and bay leaves.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the reserved sofrito from the first recipe and warm through. Stir in the cumin, oregano and tomato paste. Cook for a couple of minutes to cook the raw flavor off of the tomato paste.
- When the beans are tender, add the sofrito mixture, season with salt and simmer gently for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!