I have never made a pound cake, thinking that it must be incredibly difficult, due to the sheer amounts… pound of butter, pound of flour, etc. Well this recipe is slightly lighter – no butter! And is super easy to make. I used a 1-1 Gluten Free flour, which I think is why it was a bit crumbly, but still fantastic. Note that this recipe make 2 full loaf pans! Cut the recipe in half if you don’t need two loaves of lemon pound cake! You can easily add a glaze to this cake but it would be even better with homemade whipped cream and some fresh berries on top!
Lemon Olive Oil Pound Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 4 large cold eggs + 1 cold egg yolk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk or Almond milk
- 1 cup MTOO Meyer Lemon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans or line with parchment. NOTE: I highly recommend the parchment. I had one loaf completely fall apart on me.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt thoroughly in a large bowl and sift together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the sugar, lemon olive oil, lemon zest, and vanilla on high speed until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time; beating well after each addition. Beat for 3-5 minutes until mixture is thick and pale yellow.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and sour cream. Stop the mixer and pour in half of the soy milk mixture. Beat until blended. Repeat with half of the flour, followed by the remaining soy milk mixture and then the remaining flour. Scrape the batter into the two loaf pans.
- Bake for 50–60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool the pans on a rack.