I have never made an upside down cake before, but saw this recipe about 2 days after I bought a full case of peaches at the Farmers Market last week. Needing to find a good way to use them, I decided to give this recipe a try, and altering it to use olive oil and balsamic vinegar (natch). This was my first attempt and according to friends and neighbors, it was a resounding success. The only thing that would make it better is a scoop of ice cream! Some notes: I used gluten free flour. I did half butter olive oil and half butter because I wasn’t sure about consistency if I used all Butter Olive Oil. And I peeled the peaches (personal preference). I do think a spring form pan would work well for this too.
Upside Down Peach Cake
- 3 each fresh peaches pitted and sliced about 1/4" wide
- 4 tablespoons Butter plus more for greasing pan
- 3 tablespoons MTOO Butter Olive Oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour Glueten Free Flour works too.
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 3 each eggs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup MTOO White Peach Balsamic Vinegar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" cake or pie pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter that as well.
- Combine brown sugar and MTOO Peach Balsamic vinegar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring heat down to low and let it reduce down for about 10-15 minutes, avoiding burning the liquid.
- While caramel sauce is cooking, pit and slice the peaches and arrange slices in a pattern on the bottom of the pie pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and nutmeg. In a second bowl, beat together the regular butter and MTOO Butter olive oil with the sugar until light. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour mixture.
- Caramel sauce should be done by now... carefully pour over the peaches. Don't worry if you go over the paper. If there is some left, save it to pour over the cake for serving.
- Once all the ingredients have been mixed together, pour batter over the peaches and caramel sauce. Spread evenly. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden brown. Remove from the oven and run a knife around the edges. Put a serving plate on top of the cake and invert the cake pan. It should come out easily. Serve warm or at room temperature.