Simple Margarita Flatbread
Category: Appetizers, Class Recipes, Main Dishes, Recipes
Simple Margarita Flatbread
Chef Deanna has made the classic Margarita full of flavor with infused oils and spices. The best pizza is always homemade. Use this base recipe and add your own toppings!
For the Dough
- 4 cups :”00” flour, bread flour, or all-purpose flour (in order of preference), plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 envelope instant active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons BASIL OLIVE OIL
- 1 tablespoon EVERYONE LOVES A PIZZA BLEND
- 1 ¼ - 1 ½ cups warm water
For the Topping
- 1 14 oz can San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons CALABRIAN PESTO OLIVE OIL
- 12-15 ounces good fresh mozzarella cut into slices or fresh buffalo mozzarella if you can find it
- Big bunch of fresh basil stems removed
- 1 teaspoon EVERYONE LOVES A PIZZA BLEND or more to taste
- Make the dough. Place the yeast, sugar, and warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Let it sit for 5 minutes to get the yeast frothy and activated. (If this doesn’t happen your yeast is not good anymore. Start over with new yeast.)
- Turn the mixer on to low speed, add the flour, 2 tablespoon of the Basil olive oil, Pizza Blend and salt. Mix on low speed just until combined. Turn the speed to medium and let it knead for 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye and add more water or flour as necessary. The dough should be moist enough to clean the sides of the bowl but not sticky.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover and let rest for 45 minutes.
- As the dough is resting, make the topping. Drain the tomatoes in a fine mesh strainer and drizzle with a couple of tablespoons of the Calabrian pesto oil. Place in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Cut the mozzarella in slices and lay on paper towels to drain while you form your flatbread.
- After 45 minutes, punch down the dough and divide in two. Shape each section of the dough as desired until it is very thin, about ¼”. Transfer to a parchment lined sheet pan. Poke a few holes with a fork and brush with a little of the Basil olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 450.
- Heat the remainder of the Basil oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Place one section of the dough in the pan and brown the bottom of the dough.
- Flip the dough and start brushing with 2 tablespoons of sauce evenly over the dough. Top with 1/6 of the cheese chunks and season with Pizza Blend. Drizzle with some more olive oil and scatter 4 basil leaves over the top.
- Place the cast iron pan right in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the crust is browned and cheese is melted. Transfer the flatbread to a cutting board and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining dough.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!