I’ve made these burgers a couple of times now, and they are getting easier and easier. The recipe generously makes over 12 burgers, so you can have some for lunch the next day. If you aren’t vegan, add in some feta cheese or mozzarella to give them a cheesy kick.
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 2 each black beans 14oz cans
- 1 tablespoon MTOO Chipotle Olive Oil
- 3/4 cup bell Pepper chopped
- 1 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs or gluten free oat flour
- 1.5 tablespoons MTOO Taco Taco
- 3 tablespoons sauce your choice, ketchup, BBQ sauce, mayo, or a mix
- 1/2 each sweet potato cooked
- Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out.
- Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, and onion over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Gently blot some of the moisture out. Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
- Form into patties– about 1/3 cup of mixture in each.
- To bake: Place patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F (191°C) for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total. To grill: Place patties on greased aluminum foil and grill 8 minutes on each side. Heat temperature is personal preference as all grills differ. Generally, black bean burgers should grill on medium-high heat about 350°F (177°C) – 400°F (204°C).
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
- Make ahead tip: Cooked or uncooked black bean burgers freeze wonderfully! Stack between parchment paper in a freezer container or zipped-top bag. Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat to your liking or, if uncooked, cook according to instructions. If desired, you can skip thawing and reheat/cook from frozen for an extra couple minutes.