LEMONY CRAB OPEN FACE EMPENADA PUFFS
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- 14 ounce package frozen all-butter puff pastry thawed
- 3 tablespoons MEYER LEMON OLIVE OIL
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1 small red bell pepper cut into brunoise dice (1/4”)
- 1 tablespoon AGLIO OLIO & PEPPERONCINO
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat picked over
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. On a large, lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry 1/8 inch thick. Using a 1 ¾” biscuit cutter cut out 24 rounds. Transfer 12 to the prepared baking sheet. Using a slightly smaller cutter, cut the center out of the other 12 rounds. Lay the 12 double cut rounds on top of each of the 12 single cut rounds; press lightly to seal. With a fork, prick the bottom of the pastry shells all over. Freeze the pastry shells for 15 minutes.
- Bake the pastry shells for about 30 minutes, in the preheated oven until browned and crisp and the borders have risen nicely. If the centers start to puff up, gently tamp them down with a fork during baking.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the peppers are tender, another 3-5 minutes. Uncover and stir in the aglio olio spice blend and smoked paprika. Add the crab and cook, tossing gently, until heated through, 2-3 minutes. Take off the heat and stir in fresh parsley
- Using a small disher or teaspoon, fill the center of each pastry shell with the crab. Arrange the slices on a platter, drizzle with a little more olive oil, top with a pinch of smoked paprika and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!