Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Gravy
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 1 teaspoon ROASTED WALNUT OIL
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon CINNAMON PEAR BALSAMIC
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/3 cup grated peeled sweet apple
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 cup shelled walnut halves toasted and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ½ cup oat flour
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon ROSEMARY GARLIC BLEND
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Pepperlane Pineapples in Paradise Jam
- 2 tablespoons GRAVENSTEIN APPLE VINEGAR
- 1 tablespoon AGED MAPLE BALSAMIC
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon MUSHROOM SAGE OLIVE OIL
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 cups mushroom broth
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions and put ½ in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to make a paste. Mix back in with the whole lentils. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 9 x 5” loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sauté the garlic and onion in a large heavy bottomed pan over medium heat until translucent. Deglaze the pan with the cinnamon pear balsamic and season with salt and pepper. Add the celery, carrot, apple, and raisins and sauté to blend the flavors, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved lentils, flaxseed, walnuts, oat flour, bread crumbs, rosemary garlic blend and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Press the lentil mixture very firmly into your prepared loaf pan. I use a similar loaf pan to help make sure the mixture is evenly pressed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup, Pineapples in Paradise jam, and vinegars until combined. Spread the glaze over the loaf.
- Bake, uncovered for 1 – 1¼ hours, until the glaze is set and the edges are browned. Cool in the loaf in the pan for 10 minutes and then gently lift it out of the pan onto a rack. Cool for 30 minutes more before slicing.
- While the loaf is baking, make the gravy. Sauté the onion slowly over a low heat until a deep golden brown. Transfer to a blender with all of the other ingredients and blend until very smooth.
- Pour into a pan and stir over medium heat until thickened. Serve over the sliced lentil loaf.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!