Patatas Bravas with Pomegranate Romesco and Garlic Saffron Aioli
Category: Appetizers, Recipes, The Next Course
PATATAS BRAVAS WITH POMEGRANATE ROMESCO AND GARLIC SAFFRON AIOLI
INGREDIENTS - Potatoes
- pinch Large saffron threads
- 4 pounds small waxy potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups of canola or vegetable oil for frying
INGREDIENTS - Pomegranate Romesco
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper either freshly roasted or from a jar
- 1 Garlic Clove smashed
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds toasted
- 1/4 cup tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons MTOO Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon PAELLA BLEND
- 1/4 cup CALIFORNIA GARLIC OLIVE OIL
- 1/4 cup MTOO Chipotle Olive Oil
INGREDIENTS - Garlicy Aioli
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon MTOO Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable canola, or light olive oil canola, or light olive oil
- 1/2 cup CALIFORNIA GARLIC OLIVE OIL
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon PAELLA BLEND
- Reserved saffron water from potatoes
DIRECTIONS – Potatoes
- Combine saffron, potatoes and 8 cups of water in large pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until potatoes are just fork tender, 5-10 minutes. Reserve 1 tablespoon of saffron-infused liquid to color aioli, and drain potatoes. Spread potatoes to dry on paper towels.
- To fry potatoes: Heat canola oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat until a drop of water spatters in the oil. Working in batches, add potatoes a few at a time to avoid splashing or lowering temperature. Fry until nicely golden. Remove potatoes, sprinkle with salt, and drain briefly on a paper towel.
DIRECTIONS – Romesco
- Pulse first 8 ingredients in a food processor until very finely chopped. With motor running, slowly add oils; process until smooth.
DIRECTIONS – Aioli
- To make the aioli, place egg yolk, water, spice blend and vinegar in the bottom of an immersion blender cup. Pour oils on top. With the immersion blender at bottom of the cup whip ingredients, slowly tilting and lift the immersion blender until your aioli is formed. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
DIRECTIONS – To Serve
- Place romesco sauce in the center of a serving plate. Surround the sauce with the hot potatoes and using the squeeze bottle of aioli zig zag the sauce across the plate to make a decorative presentation. You may top with a little more of the paella blend for an extra seasoning kick and if you have them sprinkle some fresh pomegranate arils over the top of the romesco sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!