Kale Cremini Tartelettes
Category: Appetizers, Class Recipes, Holiday Dishes, The Next Course
Kale Cremini Tartelettes
Makes 24 appetizers
For the crust
- cups ¼all-purpose flour sifted
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon ROSEMARY & GARLIC RUB
- 8 tablespoons Butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- cup ¼ice water or more as needed
- cooking spray
For the filling
- 1 tablespoons MTOO Butter Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon CALIFORNIA GARLIC OLIVE OIL
- 1/2- pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoons MTOO Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 cups kale chopped
- 3 eggs
- cup ½half & half
- 1 cup white cheddar shredded
For the garnish
- 1 tablespoon MTOO Butter Olive Oil
- 1 large shallot
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme destemmed
- TRUFFLE SALT
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, rosemary garlic rub and salt to combine. Add the butter, tossing the cubes in the flour to coat. Rub the butter into the flour until it is the size of walnut halves (for a flaky crust) or peas (for a mealy crust). Make a well in the center, and add the water a few tablespoons at a time and mix just until the dough comes together. Wrap the dough in plastic refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour.
- Coat a 24-cup mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Roll out dough to a 14-by-21-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Use a 2 ½ inch cutter to cut out 24 rounds. Fit the rounds in the cups of the prepared muffin tin, pushing the bottoms down and pleating the sides slightly. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter olive oil and 1 tablespoon garlic olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Cook mushrooms until tender, about 4 minutes (adjust heat if needed). Deglaze pan with lemon balsamic. Stir in kale; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs with half-and-half and a little salt and pepper a bowl. Sprinkle a pinch of cheese in each mini tart. Spoon a little mushroom-kale mixture over top.
- Slowly and evenly pour custard over cheese and vegetables. At this point you can freeze quiches until ready to bake.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake on middle rack, rotating halfway through, until quiches are puffed and golden, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool in the muffin tin about 5 minutes then remove to a wire rack.
- Meanwhile caramelize shallots in remaining butter olive oil. Add a pinch of salt and fresh thyme.
- Top each quiche with a little shallot -thyme mixture and a pinch of truffle salt. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!