TANGY CHEESE FONDUE WITH HOMEMADE PRETZEL BITES
INGREDIENTS - Cheese Fondue
- 1 Garlic Clove halved
- 1 pound Gruyère cheese grated
- 1/2 pound Emmentaler cheese or other Swiss cheese grated
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon MTOO Sicilian Lemon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons WHITE RASPBERRY VINEGAR
- Freshly ground pepper
- Freshly grated NUTMEG
INGREDIENTS - Pretzel Bites
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast 2 1/4 teaspoons
- 1/3 cup MTOO Butter Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- 3 quarts water
- 1/3 cup Baking Soda for boiling the pretzels
- 1 tablespoon whole egg beaten with 1cold water
- EVERYTHING BAGEL BLACK PEPPER
DIRECTIONS - Cheese Fondue
- Rub the inside of a cheese fondue pot or medium enameled cast-iron casserole with the garlic clove; discard the garlic. Combine the grated Gruyère and Emmentaler with the wine, cornstarch and lemon balsamic in the fondue pot and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the cheeses begin to melt, about 5 minutes. Add the raspberry vinegar and a generous pinch each of pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring gently, until creamy and smooth, about 10 minutes; don't overcook the fondue or it will get stringy. Serve at once.
DIRECTIONS - Pretzel Bites
- Combine the 1 ½ cups water, sugar, yeast, and butter olive oil in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a flat surface and knead into a ball with your hands.
- Oil a bowl with vegetable oil, add the dough and turn to coat with the oil. Cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bring the 3 quarts of water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and carefully add the baking soda. It will boil over, so add slowly and be careful!
- Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 ¼ to 4 ½ ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring 22 inches and shape. Cut the dough into one-inch pieces to make the pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches. We did about 15 bites at a time. Boil for about 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon. Place pretzel bites on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Make sure they are not touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with bagel seasoning. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove to a baking rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!